Thursday night, the Washington Commanders hosted the Chicago Bears in the weekly Thursday night featured game on Amazon Prime and the visiting Bears rolled to a 40-20 victory, but if you tuned into the game, it felt like a Virginia Tech football reunion.
Six former Virginia Tech football players make contributions on TNF
Six former members of the Virginia Tech football team played in Thursday night’s game and each made an impact for their teams. Let’s start with the former Hokies who played for winning Bears,
- Tremaine Edmunds: nine tackles, two solo, and one tackle for loss.
- Greg Stroman: seven tackles, four solo, one sack, and one tackle for loss.
- Khalil Herbert: 10 rushes for 76 yards for a 7.6 average and a long run of 34 yards.
Three former Hokies lineup and played for the Commanders,
- Logan Thomas: nine receptions for 77 yards for an average of 8.6 yards, one touchdown on 11 targets from quarterback Sam Howell with a longest reception of 24 yards. He caught a 2-yard third-quarter touchdown pass to pull Washington within 20-11.
- Kendall Fuller: two tackles and one solo. The last time Washington was at home against the Buffalo Bills, Fuller had an interception of Josh Allen.
- Joey Sly: two field goals of 51 and 32 yards
It had been a frustrating start to the 2023 season for the Bears, but they picked up their first win over the Commanders with a good effort on defense from Edmunds and Stroman. On the flip side, it was a frustrating night for the Commanders, but Thomas stepped up on offense, but it was a case of too little, too late.