The Hokies trail 37-23 at halftime in their re-match with UVa. It was a first half of runs for both teams, with the Hokies scoring 11 straight points to cut the initial Virginia lead to one point at 24-23.
Virginia then responded as really good teams do, with a huge run of their own, closing the half on a 13-0 stretch to take the 37-23 lead into the break.
If you missed our first half game thread, you can give it a read here.
Action Prior to Under 16 Media Timeout
- Khadim Sy is really giving the Hokies good minutes on the offensive end. Four quick points to start the second half.
- The Hokies really can’t afford to continue to turn the ball over, especially in a game with limited offensive possessions.
- Zach LeDay with a great drive to the hoop and Jack Salt picks up his third foul. Crowd back into it after a Robinson bucket with 16:02 to play. 39-31, timeout Virginia.
Action Prior to Under 12 Media Timeout
- Hokies on an 8-0 run and Virginia gets a huge bucket by Marial Shayok to quiet the crowd. There are some consistent stops by the Hokies here to start the second half, but they must continue to turn offensive possessions into points.
- As mentioned in the preview, Hokies needed to feed LeDay more offensively tonight. They have made a point of doing so thus far in the second half, as LeDay has eight on this half of the intermission.
- Virginia up to six second half fouls, while Virginia Tech has yet to be called for one with 12:39 to play.
- Hokies doing a great job at getting to the basket here in the second half, a big reason why they have gone on another scoring run. Virginia 45, Hokies 43 at the under 12 timeout.
Action Prior to Under 8 Media Timeout
- Chris Clarke goes down awkwardly on the way to the basket and is putting no weight on his left knee. This could be the biggest storyline in this game and beyond if he can’t return.
- Virginia’s Jack Salt heading to the bench with his fourth foul is huge. Hokies need to continue to take the ball to the rim.
- Devon Hall with a three to extend the Virginia lead to seven with 6:31 to play. Hokies starting to take contested jump shots and the ‘Hoos are making them pay by getting after it more aggressively on the boards.
Action Prior to Under 4 Media Timeout
- Chris Clarke back on the bench for the Hokies with ice on his knee, doesn’t look like he’ll return.
- LeDay with a heads up play to kick it out to Bibbs when he got doubled in the post. Hokies cut the Virginia lead back to four.
- Hokies in the double-bonus the rest of the way, which could become a major factor with the game as tight as it is right now.
- Justin Bibbs with a huge steal and acrobatic and-one finish on the other end. He misses his third free throw of the night. The 83% shooter from the line on the year is 0-for-3 tonight.
- Hill drives the lane on a great cut, and the Hokies have a one-point lead for the first time since it’s 2-0. Cassell is going nuts and Virginia takes a timeout. Virginia really missing Jack Salt on the floor right now defensively, as the Hokies continue to take the ball to rim with great success.
Action Prior to End of Regulation
- Bibbs on the backed-in three. Hokies by a deuce with two minutes to play.
- Zach LeDay fouls out on a charge with 1:22 to play. That poor possession followed a back-breaking turnover by Justin Robinson.
- Questionable shot selection by Seth Allen on a badly missed three. Perrantes makes the Hokies pay on the other end with a driving layup with 26 seconds to play.
- Allen misses a driving layup and Virginia will be at the free throw line with a chance to ice it.
- After missing the free throw, Allen misses a layup on the other end. Outlaw tips it in and we’re heading to OT. What a heads up play by Ty Outlaw.
- Really fast-paced here in overtime. Seth Allen continues to miss layups, but he is getting action rolling to the rim consistently, which is something to watch here.
- After a Bibbs three to tie it (he’s been great tonight, by the way), Hokies are awarded a jump ball after Perrantes’ layup gets stuck on the heel of the rim. Unreal.
- Allen misses a deep three as time expires and we are heading to a second overtime. I feel like they should have drawn that up for Justin Bibbs out of the timeout…not sure I agree with that play call.
- Seven straight misses from the field for Allen, as he clanks a deep three off the rim. Shayok cans one of two free throws from the line and it is 74-72 with three minutes to play.
- Bibbs ties the game briefly on a huge three, but the fourth foul on Seth Allen is called on the other end, and that’s something to watch. Hokies are running out of players if he is disqualified. It will likely lead to walk-on Matt Galloway entering the game if Allen fouls out.
- Isaiah Wilkins fouls out for UVa and the crowd is really letting him hear it. Five points and nine rebounds for Wilkins on the night. Hill on the line to shoot two free throws as the Hokies trail by a point.
- Seth Allen with the game winning layup with three seconds to go. Perrantes’ deep three is no good and the Hokies get a MAJOR tournament building win, 80-78.