Oct 16, 2014; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Virginia Tech Hokies wide receiver Isaiah Ford (1) makes a pass reception in front of Pittsburgh Panthers defensive back Terrish Webb (2) during the third quarter at Heinz Field. Pittsburgh won 21-16. Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
Isaiah Ford shined this past fall on the football, and proved that he has an extremely bright future on the gridiron. Ford barely missed out on being on one of the three All-ACC teams this past season, but defintiely has the potential to make an All-ACC First Team before he graduates.
However, there were plans for Ford to join the Virginia Tech basketball team as soon as football season ended. Over the last few weeks, there has been almost no word on Ford joining the basketball until this respone from Buzz Williams at Tech Talk Live as recorded by Chris Coleman of TechSideline.com.
"Buzz Williams has never heard a word about Isaiah Ford joining the basketball team, except when he’s asked about it by people around town. He assumes it won’t happen, since it’s almost February."
This is not a major surprise that Ford will most likely not join the basketball team at this point. If Ford was practicing at all, we would have known by now and trying to join at this point in the season is clearly too late with only a month and a half of regular season basketball left.
More from Virginia Tech Men's Basketball
- Virginia Tech’s Mike Young & coaches attend four-star recruit’s workout
- Virginia Tech men’s basketball lands three-star recruit Tyler Johnson
- Virginia Tech men’s basketball releases non-conference schedule
- Virginia Tech basketball recruiting: Hokies 2023 class is coming together
- Virginia Tech Basketball: 2022 NBA Draft Prospects
Football meetings have started back up for the Hokies, and those meetings are likely the main focus for Ford. Ford has a tremendous future at wide receiver and focusing completely on playing football instead of being a dual-sport athlete at the collegiate level makes a lot of sense.
Buzz Williams seemed to have an understanding of the possibility of Ford joining, and probably wouldn’t mind the extra depth for a team that needs some depth. However, the Hokies have built some decent chemistry and while adding Ford wouldn’t probably be an issue, it is not needed for chemistry reasons.
It has become clear that Isaiah Ford’s future is only on the gridiron and that the only time the star wide receiver will be in Cassell Coliseum is to watch the game from the stands. Meanwhile, Buzz Williams knows that he will get the extra depth that the Hokies need next season.
More from Fighting Gobbler
- Virginia Tech women’s basketball getting preseason respect
- Virginia Tech Football: Predicting how the Hokies will finish 2023
- Virginia Tech Football: Mixed results on injury news for Hokies defense
- How to Win $350 in DraftKings Bonuses Betting on College Football Week 4
- Former Virginia Tech lineman had hilarious moment Monday night